Maryland

October 16, 2008
The Delmarva Peninsula named after the 3 states it includes is the thin strip of land between Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. It is comprised of small towns, state and national parks, seashores and tourist towns. The middle 50 miles of the eastern shore belongs to Maryland, which seems far removed from the Baltimore Washington area. In fact Maryland seems to be state of differing regions connected by thin strips of land and whose largest mass is a suburb of Washington DC. From the western mountains, through DC to the coastal plain, it is small but very diverse both in its geography and its people. Being from Pennsylvania I have been through almost all of Maryland at some point in my life. On this trip I stop in the small town of Snow Hill and the Pocomoke River where I find a lovely city park and a water lily covered inlet to paint. I am greeted by small boats of fishermen who cruise down the river . I must be painting a prime fishing area because as soon as I pack up they head into the inlet.