Delaware

October 15, 2008
I flew into Philadelphia to begin my painting week of the surrounding states. I drove immediately south to Delaware with the idea to return to spot I had visited in high school. I skirted around Wilmington and Dover, passing up beautiful historic landmark buildings along the way before heading through farms and fields toward the eastern shore. In 1968, Lewes, Delaware was a quiet historic town I visited during an oceanography field trip which I believe was run by the University of Delaware. In any case, Lewes has grown considerably. I stopped to snap some photos of the downtown before heading to the beach. It was late afternoon and I found a beautiful dune to paint before the last light of the day escaped. The following day I would continue along scenic route 1 enjoying the beaches along the way before crossing into Maryland.