Rhode Island

October 18, 2008
Rhode Island is so small, it should not have been located so far to one side of the country. It takes commitment to get here, because it would be easy to not have to go through it on the way to anywhere. But I am here to confirm that it is worth the effort. Like most of New England, it has plenty of important history, much of it to do with its busy seacoast. The sun is spotty in the afternoon so I decide to paint before it is swallowed by clouds moving in from the west. I enter from Rt 96 in Masachusetts and follow it to route 102 in the western part of the state. Near Coventry I find good light and a horse barn to paint. As I begin to set up on the side of the road, the owner comes out and asks me if I want to buy the property. She is a very nice woman who tells me the horse graphic on the barn (not shown in my painting) was done by her son. As I am finishing, her son, Don West shows up to talk a little about art. He does auto detailing and painting and gives me a card. I apologize for the small size of my canvas precluding me from painting in the horse graphic on the barn. We arrive on the Rhode Island coast at Charlestown breachway in late afternoon and get some great photos of the fishermen who line the rock jetty. I know I will be painting from these photos in the future but glad I do not have to fight the fading light, wind and blowing sand with my paintbox.

Emmie and I have dinner on the coast before I take her back to New York. It seems like a world away in less than 2 hours as I drop her off in the shadow of the George Washington Bridge.